When it comes to visibly aging skin, including fine lines and wrinkles, or even persistently dry, sensitive skin, finding hydrating skincare with ingredients that help to lock in skin moisture while minimizing skin irritation is key.
One ingredient that is essential in various anti-aging topicals as well as hydrating cleansers, serums, and moisturizers is hyaluronic acid.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a key ingredient in skin aging and skin hydration that helps to retain moisture in the skin1. Hyaluronic acid also helps to improve skin’s firmness and natural barrier function — all important when it comes to addressing signs of premature skin aging.
The benefits of hyaluronic acid serums, such as La Roche Posay’s Hyalu B5 Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum, or drops are a combination of hyaluronic acid and water, which in fact helps maximize hydration. Serums can also contain additional skin barrier-repairing ingredients such as ceramides and essential fatty acids.
Skin benefits of hyaluronic acid:
- Maintaining the integrity of the skin barrier: The skin barrier is composed of proteins and lipids making up the uppermost portion of the skin, also known as the stratum corneum. Many skin irritants may increase the risk of damage to the skin barrier. Damaging the skin barrier may lead to signs of premature skin aging, skin dyspigmentation and poor wound healing.
- Hydrating: HA increases the skin water content by reducing water loss through strengthening the protective skin barrier as well as attracting and binding to small water molecules.
- Anti-aging: Due to its hydrating properties, HA has been shown in studies to help reduce the depth of fine lines and wrinkles. In fact, skin aging has been linked to loss of skin moisture and elasticity.
When it comes to approaching dry, sensitive skin, addressing fine lines and wrinkles, HA has been shown to be a beneficial skin ingredient. Understanding what vehicle (serum, cream, lotion, cleanser) contains HA is also of importance and is dependent on what skin concerns you are aiming to address (i.e. anti-aging, skin dryness).
When aiming to address aging concerns, start a morning routine with Vitamin C Serum after cleansing, followed by Hyalu B5 Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum. At night to address aging concerns, use Hyalu B5 Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum after cleansing, followed by a retinol-containing product such as Retinol B3 Serum. For dry skin concerns, and even sensitive skin, start a morning routine after cleansing with Hyalu B5 Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum. If seeking additional hydration, add a daily moisturizer such as Toleriane Double Repair Moisturizer afterwards. Follow this same routine at night. For any skin concerns, always be sure to finish your morning regimen with a broad-spectrum sunscreen. As a proactive consumer, it is important to carefully look at ingredients and understand the importance of HA in your skincare routine and why it may benefit your skin health.
- Rawlings, A. V., and C. R. Harding. "Moisturization and skin barrier function." Dermatologic therapy 17 (2004): 43-48
- Trabucchi, E., et al. "Low molecular weight hyaluronic acid prevents oxygen free radical damage to granulation tissue during wound healing." International journal of tissue reactions 24.2 (2002): 65-71.